Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Top Ten Books To Read During Halloween

A meme by the Broke and the Bookish 

Now at first I was thinking that this would be a really small list, because I HATE horror anything, from books to movies. Really, I just refuse to watch/read them. Have you seen the Paranormal Activity 3 trailers that have been on TV? Well they scare me so much that I have to change the channel. However, I found some Halloween appropriate books that are not necessarily scary.

1) White is for Magic - Laurie Faria Stolarz
This one scared me while I was in 6th grade, I refused to read it at night. The story is about a girl who has nightmare that tell her when bad things are going to happen to people. Then you add some magic and creepy rendition of  Miss Mary Mack and the result is a book that scared me to death.
(This is the 2nd book in the series, I haven't read the first -only the second and fourth, not sure why- but I suggest reading the first book first, don't do what I did)

2)Glass Houses - Rachel Caine
This whole series is just so much fun yet it has that Gothic feel that is great for Halloween. It takes place in a town run by vampires, how much more could you want? These are all my favorite books and I'm always recommending them.

3)The Soul Screamer Series - Rachel Vincent
Now these are books are classified in my library as horror novels, however I don't think that's a good description at all. They are more paranormal romance. The main character can sense people dying, so that's an interesting story line for a Halloween vibe.

4)Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte or Jane by April Linder
The original and the YA remake have a spooky mystery aspect to them. To me this just screams Halloween. Also if you have yet to pick up the classic, it gives you a good excuse.

5) The Sweep Series - Cate Tiernan
Another set of books that I hated to read in the dark, especially when I was home alone. The creepy, dark magic vibe just flows off of these books. Yet these are one of my favorite series and I have reread them a few times.

6) The House of Night Series - P.C. and Kristin Cast
This vampire series has the haunting vibe and takes place at a boarding school. These books are filled with myths and paranormal creatures making them a perfect series for Halloween. (I liked them all up until Tempted, but that's a story for another time)

7) The Mediator Series - Meg Cabot
Take a break from all the scary ghosts and ghouls on Halloween and check out this series with a lighter tone by the wonderful Meg Cabot. You know when it sports the name Meg Cabot on the cover it's going to be good and filled with a fun story line. This series is about a girl who can see ghosts and there's one particular one who reminds me a lot of Caspar the friendly ghost...

8)The Ghost and the Goth - Stacy Kade
Another lighter novel for the Halloween spirit, this book is about a popular cheerleader who gets killed by a band bus. (Yup, a marching band bus.)The only person that can see her is the school goth. This makes for a story filled with funny moments but it also has great characters and plot. This is truly one of my favorites.

9)Scary Stories to Tell in The Dark - Alvin Schwartz
My friend and I took this one out of the library in fifth grade, and read them out loud in the dark. At the time they creeped me out. This is the perfect book to pick up for some quick, short halloween stories.

10) Any R.L. Stine book.
This one should be self explanatory. Scary story for kids, also the same goes for Stephen King books except for the older crowd.

I'm so surprised I came up with 10 Halloween books, I really thought it would be much harder.

--Danielle

1 comment:

  1. Nice list! I'm just about to read Tempted now. I hope I like it lol

    ReplyDelete

Follow With A Book on Tumblr!

http://www.with-a-book.tumblr.com/

and now on instagram!
@with_a_book